Leaders Wilderness Advanced First Aid (60hr)
Course - 7-Day Leaders Wilderness Advanced First Aid (60hr)
Date(s) - 12 - 18 January 2015
Venue – Mt Barney Lodge
Address – 1093 Upper Logan Road, Barney View, QLD. 4287
Web: Mt Barney Lodge
Materials - ALL course materials will be distributed Day 1
Tuition - $770.00
Meals - Self catered (see Mt Barney Lodge)
Accom - 'Off site' (see Mt Barney Lodge)
Venue fee - $70
Times - ALL students are required to enrol at 7.45am Day 1 of the course.
Timetable 8am to 5pm each day (except Day 1)
This program trains participants to respond to emergencies in remote settings.
The 60-hour curriculum includes standards for urban and extended patient care situations. Special topics include but are not limited to: wound management and infection, realigning fractures and dislocations, improvised splinting techniques, patient monitoring and long term management problems, up-to-date information on all environmental emergencies, plus advice on medication therapies. Emphasis is placed on prevention and decision-making, not the memorisation of lists.
This course is designed specifically to provide you with the tools to make critical first aid and evacuation decisions in remote locations. Half of your time will be spent completing practical skills, case studies and scenarios designed to challenge your decision making abilities. CPR is included in this course.
Students will undergo:
- 100 question multiple choice LWAFA written test
- CPR practical test
- LWAFA practical test
Upon successful completion of all assessment tasks, you will be issued with a (60hr) WFAA Leaders Wilderness Advanced First Aid (LWAFA) certification card valid for three years. You will also be issued with a CPR certification card valid for one year.
- WFAA SUPPLIES A LIMITED AMOUNT OF GEAR FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!
To ensure ALL students get the most out of their learning participants should bring ALL their own personal equipment (not limited to the list below) to gain a lot stronger understanding and familiarity with how to respond in an emergency situation.
What to Bring (minimum)
- Warm/appropriate clothing to be outside. Please DO NOT wear your best outdoor clothing as you will be outside on the ground and stage makeup will be used which can stain if no washed.
- Sleeping bag
- Foam mat, Thermorest, insulation
- Wet weather gear
- Small tarp, tent flye, hootchi, (some sort of shelter protection)
- Sun protection – 30+SPF/Zinc
- Water bottle
- Pen, paper
- Watch with second hand
- 2 x spare jumpers and t-shirts for padding for splints
- Walking poles, paddles - gear you would normally have with you outdoors that you can use to improvise splints
- If the course has an accommodation option, please bring sleeping bag/linen, pillow and towel, etc.
To maximise participant learning ensure you wear OLD clothing, it may be a good idea to source clothing from a second hand clothing or ‘Opportunity Shop’ beforehand. Throughout the course we use stage makeup and it states that it does not stain clothing/material this may not always be the case.
- If you have chosen to self cater, please bring a packed lunch and snacks, as breaks are short and most venues do not have food available close by.
Other topics inc:
- Introduction & Medical Legal Issues
- Patient Assessment & Basic Life support
- Traumatic Injuries
- Spinal Injury
- Rolls & lifts
- Wilderness Focussed Spine Assessment
- Head Injury
- Wilderness Wound Management
- Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Environmental Injuries
- Cold injuries & Illness
- Heat Illnesses
- Australian Bites & Stings
- Medical Emergencies
- Adult CPR/EAR Wilderness Specific
Please note: Your course involves a ‘Night Scenario’ on night 5 (Friday 16th January 2014) which starts approx 7.30pm and concludes approx 11.00pm.
‘See you on Day One’
Contact: Please contact the office directly for available positions - p: 03 9005 7172 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Mt Barney Lodge, 1093 Upper Logan Road, Barney View, QLD. 4287
Cost: $770 tuition, venue fee $70, self catered, see accommodation / catering options